Domaine du Trapadis Rasteau Les Adrès Rouge 2013 Southern Rhône, France
Ripe black and red fruits with hints of garrigue herbs, plums and liquorice. Beautifully textured with depth and length, this is to savour now and over the next five years.
About the winemaker
Domaine du Trapadis is located in the charming little village of Rasteau in southern Rhône, in France. Helen Durand took over the family domain from his parents in 1996. Trapadis comprises 35 hectares of vines, of which 25 hectares are in the Rasteau appellation, six hectares in the Côtes du Rhône Villages Rouaix appellation, and four hectares in the Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne appellation. Helen grows 65% Grenache, 10% Mourvèdre, 10% Carignan, 10% Cinsault and the rest is Syrah. Helen first worked organically and eventually converted, after extensive trials, to biodynamics. Helen has a ”Burgundian approach” to winemaking. He likes to vinify individual parcels rather than blending indiscriminately as is often the case in southern Rhône. He makes pure and elegant wines that are absolute bargains.
|Viticulture and Winemaking|
Ageing of 20 months on fine lees in concrete vats for 90% of the wine and in one-year old barrel for the remaining 10%, AOC Rasteau, Clay and lime soil, Fermentation with indigenous yeasts, Harvest by hand, Suitable for vegans, Yield of 10-15 hl/ha for the Grenache and 20 hl/ha for the Carignan and Mourvèdre